[Jacob-list] ram sharing

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Tue Dec 5 09:15:51 EST 2000

======
>I did loan a young ram out this year - pretty much the way Royal is saying.
=====
  I will allow someone to use a ram lamb if they pay for  the registration fee.
======

 =======================

Some interesting comments cherry-picked from a post - Still not pushing
sharing ewes and/or rams but there are reasons to shart bloodlines, etc.  Am
sure it is not for everyone - especially for those who really want closed
flock because of OPP, scrapie, etc.  But for others it may be cost effective
to introduce into your flock something that otherwise you will have to go
out and purchase, etc. Using someelse's ram or taking your ewes to someone
elses farm for breed as I have said before is not for everyone BUT it is
something that should be considered by some of the smaller flock owners.

I let EM use Sir Hugh- as very handsome, blue-eyes, older ram from Ingrid
Painters flock - He died after one breeding at her farm - but she did get
what I consider a very nicelooking young ram - and probably,hopefully, he
also threw some nice ewes.  What if I had said NO and what if ME had not
wanted to used this ram - WHAM, there goes some nice genetics because he
being older and feeble.

===
      Edd Bissell = Hidden View Farm = Rare and Primitive Breed Animals
Scottish Blackface=Jacob=Barbados=Texas Dall=Navajo-Churro=Churro Hairsheep
     ====Tennessee Nervous Meat Goats =  = Great Pyrenees LGDs=====
                  = eddbissell.com = 423-475-4844 =
         1435 Collins Road - New Market, Tennessee U.S.A. 37820