[Jacob-list] pens for rams

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Aug 31 07:47:26 EDT 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:27:37 -0400, iseespots  wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am in NC and have had ewes settled with twins in early August mid-
>90's
>weather and the high humidity levels we usually experience during
the
>summer.

I'm in Georgia and sheep are already breeding here.  Lambs start
arriving in January all over  the state.  I haven't put mine together
yet, but the old ram is busy chasing the young rams around and the
ewes are fighting, so I'd say they are ready.

>I personally do not agree with separating out sheep and leaving them
>without
>a buddy of some sort at any point in time.  They are a flock
>creature and do
>not seem to handle being by themselves well at all.  I have not been
>impressed by the rams I have seen put in pens by themselves, but
>that is a
>personal opinion.

I'll agree with Mary Ellen that keeping rams separate is not the
preferred method but sometimes that's what you gotta do.  If they are
within eyesight of other sheep it works a little better.  And some
rams will tolerate it without any problems and some won't. I had to
keep an adult ram alone for a few months this summer (and a few
months last summer) and he did fine.  Of course, he was alot happier
when he got to back out with the young rams and he is a lazy sort of
guy.

>Rams also seem to like to go through 2Xwhatever boards.  I have
>personally
>been lucky and had no real problems with rammy rams beating in my
>fencing or
>gates.  I also have most of my areas wooded and the rams pick out a
>couple
>favorite trees to beat their heads against for the pleasure of
>shaking the
>trees.

I've found that rams are much more likely to charge wood than wire.
I doubt I could keep rams in a board fence.  I usually keep the rams
in the woods, as Mary Ellen says, but due to the neighbor children
climbing over the fence, we had to bring the rams closer.  Trees are
a wonderful outlet for ram behaviour!

Linda

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep