[Jacob-list] drug resistance

Wolfpen wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Aug 25 08:45:08 EDT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:24:23 -0400, Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg  wrote:
>>Paul, In this Delmarva area strongiles worms are resistant to
>>Ivermec.
>>Take a stool sample to be sure. I use Levisol, 2 doses three weeks
>>apart.
>>Wayne

We also have problems here with resistance to wormers.  I almost lost a ewe
lamb last year after using safeguard for that season. The lamb has a load of
haemonchus that the vet said was easily past the fatal level.  In our area, at
that time,
those parasites were resistant to fenbendazole.  A serious dose of ivormec took
care of the worms. The lamb did make it after being down and force fed for
three days.  BTW - you can really see those few days in her fleece - while very
soft and pretty, it is so weak that it almost crumbles.

I heard yesterday of a case of nematodirus infestation nearby.  It's quite
unusual in this area and is apparently not affected by ivormec or fenbendazole.
 Onset of symptoms is quick and death is very possible.  According to what a
vet said (not to me - this is hearsay) Syntex (oxfenbendazole) is the drug of
choice for this parasite in our area.

I don't go to the vet very often - mostly for vaccines for the dogs and cats.
The vet has seen the sheep twice in 8 years.  But, I do take fecal samples in
to be checked.  This is one area where that $10 is worth hundreds.  If my
animals have parasites resistant to my wormers, I sure want to know before
someone is down and almost dead.  I learned a valuable lesson with the lamb
last year.  You can save alot of money by not worming when you don't need to
and you may save some sheep by having a fecal check done (or doing it yourself)
every so often.

Linda

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com

Registered Jacob Sheep