[Jacob-list] Lost Lamb

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Sun Aug 13 13:25:25 EDT 2000

Yesterday morning, I was weeding the garden and threw the pickings over
the fence to the sheep. I noticed that Marx wasn't with the group. Marx
is a Jacob/Black Welsh Mountain cross who was born in June. The Welsh
don't have a strong flocking instinct, I've noticed. Both Marx and his
mother always grazed away from the rest of the flock and Marx kept
moving away from her as he got older. This worried me, as he was a very
small creature,  like his mother.

I gave them some feed in the late afternoon, as I had some friends stop
by who wanted to see the sheep. Marx was still missing. After the
visitors left, I searched the pasture for him. I also searched the
adjoining pastures and back in the woods. No sign of him anywhere.

There were no signs of violence in the pasture where he was last seen. I
checked for signs of something being dragged under or over the fence,
but there were no signs of dragging or scraps of black wool on the
wires.

We do have eagles in the area; they nest in the big trees along the
Chesapeake Bay. I wonder if an eagle swooped down and carried him off
for dinner?

Paul Intihar
Rainbow Farm
Joppa, Maryland