[Jacob-list] Primitive Type Jacobs

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Fri Aug 11 11:15:12 EDT 2000

Edd,

I hope that you continue to share your many years of experience and knowledge about Jacob sheep with everyone on this list.  How would you describe the primitive type Jacob?  The ones in our flock that look primitive to me are smaller boned.  The ewes weigh only around 85 lbs.  The heads are small and triangular and there is usually some mottling present.  The legs are very slender with small hooves.  A few have some kemp throughout the fleeces, although most do not.  Years ago we had a ram with a hairlike mane around his neck.  We do not have any with this trait now.  In your opinion, does the "improved" looking Jacob have a bigger body and head?  What are some of the typical weights of mature Jacobs in other flocks?  I have noticed in our own flock over a span of 12 years, that the Hatch lines seem more primitive in type than the Reynolds lines.

                                                                                         Mary Spahr