[Jacob-list] VM in fleeces

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Sun Apr 30 13:42:53 EDT 2000

Thom
A couple things we have learned - feeding hay from a rack feeder can
result in more dirt in fleeces...as the sheep pull hay through the rack
they scatter leaves, etc. on neighboring sheep - we feed hay from a
feeder (tub-type) on the ground.  Also, sheep who spend most of their
time outside on pasture stay cleaner......although it is absolutely
essential that your meadow is free of weeds that produce seeds/burrs that
could become embedded   Alot of that dirt is eliminated in the carding
process - but I can remember the first time we sheared I was appalled at
how dirty the fleeces were.  It helps to look at other fleeces - you can
then assess where you are at in the matter of "veggie tales."  If I
remember correctly, I think the Horaks (Fred are you out there?) wash
their sheep before shearing, which would eliminate alot of dust, but I'm
not sure if that would really get out the stuff that is stuck in the
fleece.
Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!