[Jacob-list] Wide Horns, Mane

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 13:24:41 EDT 2000

In a message dated 4/28/00 10:43:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com writes:

>  I knew you would recognize Sir Lancelot immediately.  I do not recall any
> other sheep born here with the neck mane.  I thought perhaps it was
> correlated to the coarser type fleece.  Did you say that he did not pass
this
> trait to any of his offspring?

No, he did not, unless his sons develop it and the coarse wool down the back
when they get older. His oldest offspring here are now two-year-olds, so
there would be time for them to still develop the primitive trait, but I
don't recall his older offspring at your farm having a mane either.
Lancelot's wool was not coarse except for that down the back, and he did have
the longer staple length with no crimp. Two of his lambs had the longer
length, the others did not. None had any crimp.

Joan Franklin