[Jacob-list] Digest "indigestion"

Mark and Cathie Williams williams at jacobsheep.com
Tue Apr 25 10:46:56 EDT 2000

Several subscribers who receive the digest version of the list have asked
about format problems with the digest.  The new list does some odd things
when compiling digests, including putting 2 versions of many messages, one
of which if interspersed with odd codes.

Here's why:  In the "old days" (i.e. a year or 2 ago) email was just text.
But then progress happened and the software manufacturers decided to allow
you to send messages in HTML format. For most people, the difference is
transparent.  You may notice that some messages come formatted with a
different font, and occasionally someone will include a background color or
image (one of my personal pet-peeves).  Unfortunately, HTML format is now
the default for many email packages.  When the list compiles digests that
include HTML formatted message, it can't interpret the HTML formatting, so
it puts in a plain text version, followed by the HTML version in code
format.  This gets really messy.

What digest subscribers can do:  Digest subscribers can change their
subscription option to receive MIME rather than plain text digests.  In MIME
format, you'll get one digest email that includes attachments of each
individual message.  This may not be any better, and may not work for some
subscribers, depending on your particular situation.  Give it a try, though,
to see if it's better for you.  To start receiving MIME formatted digest, go
to your Jacob-list configuration page and click on the MIME button under
"Get MIME or Plain Text Digests."

What all subscribers can do:  There are very few cases where HTML formatting
adds any value to email.  I personally think it was a dumb idea for the
email software creators to add this feature in and make it the default.
Everybody has the option to send email in plain text format - you just have
to set up your email software to do that.  There are dozens of email
packages, so I won't begin to explain all of them.  If you're using Outlook
Express for email, look under the Tools menu, Options command, Send tab.

I hope this helps.

- Mark Williams
  Jacob-list administrator
  http://www.jacobsheep.com