[[Jacob-list] Nice rams]

Aaron and Abigail Brown blotham at netscape.net
Thu Apr 20 01:40:03 EDT 2000

We learned with the very first Jacobs we purchased, 1 ram and 3 ewes. The ram
was a very nice two horned with good fleece. Generally, he had a good
disposition toward us. As he got older he began demonstrating an eagerness to
butt us. After knocking me down a couple of times, we decided to let him know
who was dominate around our place, just as we have done with horses we have
had in the past. Just have to let them know who is boss. We did this by taking
him, picking him up off his feet and laying him on his side, holding him down
until he no longer resisted, then letting him up. After about three times, he
got the message; however, we always kept our eye on him.

Since then, we have not had difficulty with any of our rams. Maybe we just
learned how to handle them. With strangers we always caution them regarding
the rams.

Aaron Brown
Shiloh Farm
Indiana

----------------------------
maplelanehmstd at dialpoint.net (Kelly Foster) wrote:

>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative
We were doing some paperwork around here the other day on my ram and I had
been saying what a nice guy he was, so easy to get along with ect., ect.
Well, when I went in to get him, he of course came at me, horns tangled in
clothes bruises on hand I get out and scratch the paperwork. Later I was
looking at past newsletters and pics and there were all these HUGE rams with
halters standing like well behaved children. How do you people do that??! Do
you start with babies? Another ram I had although sweet as a youngster got
mean as a snake as he got older too. I have sported many battle scars from him
too. Could it be a genetic thing where some lines are nicer than others? If so
I will breed for that too!!  Any thoughts would be appreciated.    Kelly