[Jacob-list] rams chasing pregnant ewes

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 18 07:34:30 EDT 2000

Hi,

I am finding this thread interesting.  I just don't keep the rams in except when they have a perceived function in the flock for my own management reasons.

Ewe behavior to lambs, though, is such that my girls do NOT tolerate those bratty little neighborhood kids bothering them or being very close physically.  Rarely do I have a ewe that would allow a lamb to attempt free-loading either.  Most lambs do try to check out the ewes around, but seem to learn very quickly with either early nudges away or simple slings through the air that you just don't mess with strange women.  Are my ewes behaving differently than many other flocks?  I must say this behavior would fit in with the survival of the "my" genes rather than the "flock" genes theories.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.