[Jacob-list] Showing Sheep

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Sun Apr 16 10:40:54 EDT 2000

At 10:12 AM 4/16/00 -0400, you wrote:
>That's not the reason I don't show. I have three other reasons, one is the
risk of my animals contracting diseases, and then there's the time, expense,
and distance involved. The other is from past experience of abject snobbery
at shows. I'm sure Jacobs' breeders are different, but it was enough to put
me off.
>Melanie
>==========

Jacob breeders used to be different back when there were so very, very few
of them.  We were all in the same boat - we either had to paddle, swim or
sink together.  We swapped rams, ewes, lambs, imformation, successes,
failures - we absolutely listened and appreciated each other opinions - we
ALL culled heavely - we all had a goal in mind - and it was betterment of
the breed itself - we KNEW that everything should not be registered - when
we had a good ram we were able to swapped him back and forth, etc.  When we
started a good line we were able to recognise it.  We we found a group of
Jacobs out there, and believe it or not there were lots of little pockets of
Jacobs that had been isolated especially in the upper Midwest, we ALL shared
what was found.  Luther Hardy probably went to every sale from Iowa to Penn
thru the years and was able to come upon many, many nice flocks.   And also
he was able to get some thru Canada - now these were sheep that noone know
their origin.  I personally think that way back there had to be importations
for the British Isles into Canada [where there was no quarnteen for
sheep/chickens/goats/etc] that many more sheep, etc were brought in that we
know nothing about.  All we know about is primarily the Hescock and
Lincoln/Chicago importation.  If not where did all of these sheep come
from???  Where did the old Jacobs that Ingrid found up in Northwest Canada
come from 30 years ago???   Where did all of these flocks that showed up at
W/Ws and Macon and Hale Brothers sale come from 16 plus years come from???
These sure were not from them Hescock or Lincoln Park Zoo stock - they did
not look anything at all like them?????

      Edd Bissell = Hidden View Farm = Rare and Primitive Breed Animals
Scottish Blackface=Jacob=Barbados=Texas Dall=Navajo-Churro=Churro Hairsheep
     ====Tennessee Nervous Meat Goats =  = Great Pyrenees LGDs=====
                  = bissell at usit.net = 423-475-4844 =
         1435 Collins Road - New Market, Tennessee U.S.A. 37820