[ARGUS] Argus 5.0 on FreeBSD 14

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jan 11 14:12:50 EST 2024

Hey Mike,
Based on this, I think we should choose machine-id …

The purpose of the hostuuid is to have a globally (or at least organizational) unique identifier for the system that generates the argus data.  For the endpoint, the scrid will generally be extended to include the interface id so you can figure out where this record was generated ...

There are several situations where I have an argus running on a system, and an argus running in a VM hosted by that system.
We would want the hostuuid to be different for these two instances of argus …

Because the hostid is normally MAC address based, it has been reported that the hostid is not guaranteed to be unique, especially in VM situations …

BUT … it seems to be complicated ... I may have to put in a configuration option to set where the hostuuid will come from … prog:/path/to/program or file:/path/to/file …

The most important part is for it to be unique without human involvement.

Carter