[ARGUS] Argus error in packet size and bytes

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jun 3 09:58:00 EDT 2022

Hey Sehan,
There are many methods for managing software on Linux machines.  By downloading the source, and using ‘make install’, you are avoiding all of those systems, so ‘dpkg’ won’t ‘know’ that the software is installed.  Working with source is a good thing for an investigator … you’re now a developer rather than a user :O)

There is a file in each of the distributions that describes these concepts, like the README file and the INSTALL file.  Take a look ...

By default, argus will install all of its code into the /usr/local directories.
   % cd /usr/local
   % ls

If your ‘make install’ was successful, you should see the bin and sbin subdirectories in /usr/local.  Argus is in the sbin directory (system binary) and the clients are all in the bin directory.
You can run programs like ‘ra’ by providing the complete path in your command …

   % /usr/local/bin/ra -r argus.file

You may need to add /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin directories to your PATH variable (added to .bashrc, or .profile in your home directory),

You can have argus change where it installs things.  If you would rather argus install its software in the system /usr/sbin and /usr/bin directories, try this:
   % make uninstall
          This will remove the current software

   % ./configure —prefix=/usr
   % make install

Do look at the output of the make program calls, as the information is very useful and possibly instructional.
If you would like it to install in the /opt directory structure, then change the ‘/usr’ in the above configure call to ‘/opt’.

 Carter