[ARGUS] Argus flows to Kafka

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Sep 11 11:53:21 EDT 2019

Hey Phil,
Yep, not sure why I coupled Kafka with ML so quickly, but that is the context that I’ve seen Kafka in for a while, so I just tagged the buzz words together.  I went to the Kafka site, and quickly realized that its just a message fabric, at least the way I think about things … There are a few ZeroMQ transports of argus data out there, Gloriad did that for a while, and they were quite happy, but these groups aren’t contributing the code back to the argus project :o( … I won’t be surprised if there is a Kafka producer and client for argus data somewhere in the universe ...

I am in favor of doing an argus source and client over Kafka, as well as ZeroMQ and others that the community thinks is reasonable to do.  We’re going to have a major change in the web site by October (design is already done, just need to move it to Joomla on the new openargus.org <http://openargus.org/> site).  I’ve scoped out 4 basic projects that we’re going to do in 2020, kind of a result of the commercial Argus efforts and Argus+Streaming is #3.

If you’re interested, lets see if we can’t get something developed in a reasonable bit of time.  Have radium.1 be a Kafka stream processor, since its our argus stream processor.  So if you want to write to Kafka, use radium … if you want to read Kafka, use radium and then all the apps that want to get data get if from radium ????

Carter