Reading the Argus mail archive

carter at qosient.com carter at qosient.com
Sun Jan 20 13:29:36 EST 2019

Gentle people,
As many of you know, the argus mailing list, which is hosted by Carnegie Mellon Univ., has been archived by Gmane.org.  Thanks to Gmane for the work they did for so long !!!

Gmane is an NNTP gateway that converted the argus emailt to a Usenet News newsgroup, and provided HTTP access through a very nice web interface. Gmane.org. is still taking in the argus mailing list email and converting it to a news group.  Gmane has 20 years of argus email, and is upto date, as of today.   Unfortunately, the web part of Gmane.org  does appear to be gone, and it doesn’t look like its coming back.

As a result, we’re establishing an archive on QoSient.com, as a pairList mailing list.  The web interface is not as well done as Gmane’s, but it is still a good one.  The transition will take a little time, and getting google to pick up the indexes will take some time, but we’re working to have it up and running by end of Feb.  Pair uses MailMan, which is pretty standard. If you have any opinions on other sites that could work, feel free to holler !!!

It is still very easy to get access to the mailing list archive through NNTP.  The newsgroup doesn’t get passed around to all the Usenet sites, but it is available on news.gmane.org.

   nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.argus

Any newsgroup reader can provide access to the newsgroup … I use Mozilla Thunderbird to make sure the archive is still there.

Hope all is most excellent,