ACC vs CON in TCP

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Mar 25 10:51:48 EDT 2015

Hey John,
The ACC is “Accepted”, there was a response for the TCP SYN request.
CON means that the TCP is “Connected”, SYN -> SYN_ACK -> ACK.

The existing code 3.0.8 doesn’t use ‘EST’, I believe that it was
confusing for others as well.  We used EST and CON in 2.x and in 3.0.2
to distinguish EST (syn, synack, ack) from data transfer.  We changed
that to deal with asymmetric flows and when there is high loss rates,
as you may see data transfer (CON) without seeing all the establishment
packets (EST).  With the inclusion of ‘appbytes’ we know exactly if
there was data transfer, so the differences kinda went away.
We include all the labels in the man pages for continuity.

When you use the -z option, the printed status has
slightly more information, and of course you can print
either sides accumulated tcpflags with -Z get the PUSH,
URG, ECE and CWR flags if they existed.

So to break down the TCP State machine indicators:
                                       -z
  Initiator sends SYN         -  REQ   ’s'
  Responder sends SYN_ACK     -  ACC   ’S'
  Responder rejects           -  RST   ‘R'

  Initiator sends ACK         -  CON   ‘E'
  Initiator sends data        -  CON   ‘E'

  Timed Out                   -  TIM
  Either party sends FIN      -  FIN   ‘f'
  Either party sends FIN_ACK  -  FIN   ‘F'
  Both parties ACK            -  CLO   ‘C'

Carter