sFlow Crashing with Argus

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Oct 14 10:43:43 EDT 2014

Hey Avinash,
Doesn’t compile on Mac OS X, which is our primary development system.
No problem, I have lots of Linux, which I can use for this.

OK, a few things about Sflow.  There are two flow concepts in an Sflow
stream, there is the Sflow flow, and there is the Sflow data.
An Sflow stream is composed of PDU’s that have flow sample descriptors
and raw packets.  ra* should be able to deal with the flow descriptors,
but not the raw packet contents.  Argus is needed to parse the raw
packet contents, but support for Sflow packet decode is not done,
its scheduled for the next release.

What we’ll do now is correct the core dump, and generate some appropriate
output.  You should notice that the ra* support for sflow is incomplete,
but shouldn’t generate a core dump.  The current implementation should
parse the datagrams but there isn’t any code to generate any argus records.

Now that I have some sense that the InMon Agent actually generates
reasonable data, I can work on ra* support for sflow datagrams.
Expect that what you are interested in, however, will be argus
support for sflow.

Carter