argus-3.0.8 release date

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed May 14 10:47:49 EDT 2014

Gentle people,
I’m working towards a May 28th release date for argus-[clients]-3.0.8.
Finally !!!  If anyone sees opportunity for improvement this week,
please send something to the mailing list.

While we may not have gotten to all the features / bugs, at least
we are stable.

I have been going through the example programs, making progress
on their functions, with a lot of focus on:
   argus -	modifications for SDN support, new encapsulations, duplication rejection logic,
		new hardware types, improved polling methods, flow key extensions, better solaris support
		modernize pcap API use, basic fixes for ARP, extensions for new data objects.

   ra* - 	better/new filter support, improved performance, new metrics (pcr), netflow v9

   ratop -	color support, pcre and multi-threaded implementation
   radium -
   ralabel -	improved metadata support, new distributed stream block processing
   racluster -
   rabins - 	better aggregation and real time functions
   raevents - 	integrated event correlation in radium() to support metadata processing.
   rafilter -	faster processing structures
   rahisto - 	support for processing more metrics
   rapath -	better path representations
   rapolicy -	extended Cisco ACL language support, complete redo
   ragrep -	PCRE support and integration into general ra* family group.
   rasql* -	better database operations

Man pages for all programs, except ratop(), are to date.  ratop.1 manpage being
developed for argus-3.0.9.x.

New examples for this release include:
   radecode() - t-shark like user data decoder
   raplot() - gnuplot drawing for graphs, histograms etc…

A few example programs are still early prototypes, specifically raservices() which
identifies application types through content analysis, while it is being used by
a few heavily, not much on the mailing list.

A few examples are still stub examples, such as rarpwatch() and radark(), basically
because I haven’t had much time for coding in the last 1/2 year.

If you see something  that I’ve left out, please holler, and again,
thanks for all the support.