Building Argus on Android...

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Mar 27 19:52:32 EDT 2013

Hey Jim,
No there is no argus-lite.  All advanced features, however, like threads,
pcre use, extended features, shared ibrary support, are all optional, and
selected using the ./configure program.  If you haven't done it yet,
use the autoconf support in argus-3.0.6 to build an appropriate
./configure file for your platform, and then chose the options that you
want to build a simpler argus.   Type this:

   ./configure --help

to see the kind of options that are available.

The entire porting effort of argus is centered around autoconf.  Does
Android NDK have autoconf?

One strategy to get the simplest argus would be to port argus-2.x
which are available, although I would not recommend it.  There are many
sites that are still running versions of argus-2.x, successfully, so you
would be able to generate a working argus, but 3.0 is better.

Bison and flex are very important to argus, as they are the basis of
the flow selection and filtering compilers, which are very important.
Do these packages not run on Android NDK?  If gcc is available, then
flex and bison have already been ported, somewhere....

Argus has been successfully ported to so many platforms, that I doubt
that Android is going to be an issue.  So knocking out each issue one at
a time, is still the best approach.  What problems are you having now?

If you have any show stopper problems, send the output of the
./configure, and or the compiler errors that you are getting, to the list.
If it is really problematic, then I could get involved, if a platform is available.

Carter