Hardware specs?

James A. Robinson jimr at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 6 20:12:53 EST 2013

I was hunting around on the FAQ for "hardware" and "memory", but I
don't see any recommendations for the hardware to use to run a radium
server.  I imagine it all depends on how much data one wants to
collect.

If we want to monitor two dozen web servers that, collectively, serve
something like 2000 requests per second with associated database and
NFS traffic, would anyone have recommendations on how much memory we
ought to have on the radium server?  Will SAS vs SATA disk be
important?

What I'm looking to do initially is collect information on HTTP
traffic counts (requests per second, bytes per second) for subnets
connecting to ours.  Later I'd like to be able to put together reports
on the total amount of NFS traffic between our backend systems.

Jim

James A. Robinson                       jimr at highwire.stanford.edu
HighWire | Stanford University          http://highwire.stanford.edu/
+1 650 7237294 (Work)                   +1 650 7259335 (Fax)