Error Starting Argus Daemon

Welland, Neal N.Welland at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 06:45:56 EST 2013

Good morning,

Apologies for the delay. Had to get gdb installed!

I eventually got argus to recompile with debugging symbols. I had to tweak bin/mkdep - it explicitly sets the PATH, but did not include the location of gcc on our installation!

Anyway, here is the output from the gdb session:

bash-3.2$ sudo /opt/csw/bin/gdb bin/argus
Password:
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-pc-solaris2.10".
Reading symbols from /var/tmp/argus-3.0.4/bin/argus...done.
(gdb) break ArgusShutDown
Breakpoint 1 at 0x805a927: file argus.c, line 810.
(gdb) run -X
Starting program: /var/tmp/argus-3.0.4/bin/argus -X
[New Thread 1 (LWP 1)]
[New LWP    2        ]
[Switching to Thread 1 (LWP 1)]

Breakpoint 1, ArgusShutDown (sig=1) at argus.c:810
810        ArgusShutDownFlag++;
(gdb) where
#0  ArgusShutDown (sig=1) at argus.c:810
#1  0x08085256 in ArgusLog (priority=3, fmt=0x809f62c "ArgusInitOutput() pthread_create error %s\n") at argus_util.c:1952
#2  0x08075419 in ArgusInitOutput (output=0x84c9a68) at ArgusOutput.c:381
#3  0x0805a766 in main (argc=2, argv=0x8047d40) at argus.c:614
(gdb)

I hope this helps pin-point the problem.

Regards, Neal.