TLS support for argus and argus-clients

Chas DiFatta chas at difatta.org
Mon Feb 11 01:45:37 EST 2013

Hey Carter,

Adopting the TLS transport feature option has been on the top of my wish list. While SASL, albeit a great technology, it seems complex and not an active effort as is TLS, but I could be wrong.  Here is my thinking with respect to features and issues regarding adding TLS.

Configuration:

1. Argus/Radium certificate binding:
	I assume that given each argus or radium instance, the connecting client (or another radium) needs at least the following two attributes to complete the setup.

	ENCRYPTION = [on,off]
	CERTIFICATE = [file name path]

	You're the expert here, but would it be logical to extend the variable syntax used in argus.conf to use those two attributes?  Here a a few examples,

	ARGUS_AUTH_TYPE="TLS"								// where type can be, NONE, SASL, TLS
	ARGUS_AUTH_CERTIFICATE="/usr/local/argus/cert/foo.cert" 	// path to the certificate
	ARGUS_AUTH_ENCRYPTION="yes"						// yes and no are the only options

	I assume this is predicated that the ARGUS_BIND_IP variable must be set.

	I really don't know the minutia of SASL, but this suggested syntax may have to change given the SASL configuration constructs if you wish to use it for SASL as well.

	This may "beg" a higher question that we may want to think about, but not necessarily implement at this phase.

		Should there be a /etc/argus directory which contains specific directories/files for both argus and radium which is similar to /etc/ssh?

2. Client binding:
	You may want to extend the RA_ARGUS_SERVER naming conventions variable in .rarc to be consistent with the above,  E.g.

	RA_ARGUS_SERVER=localhost:561
	RA_ARGUS_SERVER_ AUTH_TYPE="TLS"						// where type can be, NONE, SASL, TLS
	RA_ARGUS_SERVER_CERTIFICATE="/usr/local/argus/cert/foo.cert" 	// path to the certificate
	RA_ARGUS_SERVER_AUTH_ENCRYPTION="yes"					// yes and no are the only options

Diagnostics:
	A simple request to put adequate diagnostic messages into /var/log/messages and debug levels to diagnose any problems with TLS as well as SASL.

Examples
	To make this feature easier for folks to adopt, especially if they don't know the details of generating a certificate, some example documentation on how to generate their own certificates would go a long way.

Thoughts?

	...cd