ra reading compressed files, faster with cat

Jesper Skou Jensen jesper.skou.jensen at uni-c.dk
Thu Dec 5 09:14:01 EST 2013

Hi guys,

I've been experimenting a bit with Argus/ra, in regards to improving
reading speed.

I noticed that ra (version 3.0.7.18) appears to be quite a lot slower at
reading compressed files than files run through zcat/bzcat/xzcat on the
fly, and I'm wondering if I can feed any options to ra to make it
faster? Or maybe some code-changes (that I haven't got a clue what might
be) could help?

I have created a small graph here that illustrates the problem:
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ro18cn.jpg

As you can see ra appears to be slower across the board.

--
Regards
Jesper