Database design concerns an Update

Dave Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Sun Oct 28 09:18:43 EDT 2012

Some updates from the front lines.

I have changed three things. I increased the size of the max_allowed_packet
value from 1M to 64M; I built the clients without debug enabled; and I took
a good look at the data I inserted before I killed the original activity.

With the rasqlinsert parameters -m srcid matrix and -s ltime dur srcid saddr
daddr bytes and a filter of - ip I was aggregating too aggressively and had
lost much of the material that I really needed. I also did a bit of thinking
about a problem that I encounter with data that are collected over a long
time span. In three years, we've closed some data centers, opened others,
moved to significant amounts of virtualization and have very effectively
disconnected the IP addresses in the Argus records from the current reality.
I do have the glue to reconnect most, if not all of this but it is not in
those records.

With that last thought in mind, I tried an experiment of running ralabel
against the records and piping that into rasqlinsert. I guess that the
biggest benefit is that you are guaranteed not to overrun the database, even
without optimizations. The insert rate could be measured in furlongs per
fortnight J

I abandoned that idea and reset the insert process parameters and filter to
something that provided what I actually need.

                -m srcid matrix proto

                -s ltime dur srcid saddr daddr bytes proto sco dco

                - not icmp and not udp

Before anyone yells, some explanation is in order. This specific dataset is
not typical and I have other datasets that I will deal with in different
ways. I am responsible for the broken parts of a very large network. The
parts that are not broken always seem to belong to other people L Broken in
the sense of both not working and something evil this way comes. In round
numbers we have 30,000 routing nodes and about 6.02 * 10^23 users give or
take a few. We have a clearly defined DFZ (Default Free Zone) that has full
routing tables and the entire network is isolated from the Internet with
controlled access through formal authenticating proxy devices. Throughout
our DFZ we intentionally inject  default routes which point  to a set of
sinkholes. The sinkholes send NetFlow data  to the mother ship and then drop
the traffic. It is really not much more than an active darknet detection
mechanism. Anything that gets to the sinkhole is misconfigured, broken, or
malicious and always requires some sort of attention. The sinkhole NetFlow
is really sent to a different system, but by dint of logical explanation,
reason, and significant threats I convinced everyone that I should also get
a copy of the material. This material is the dataset in question.

I never see anything but half-flows, because the sinkhole never talks back.
I know that the destination address is not routable on the network, and I
know that I have had very poor return from ICMP and UDP traffic, so the
folks responsible for the other system handle that stuff. One other bit of
background. My organization is very concerned about even the hint of a
thought of an appearance of communications with a well-defined set of
countries so part of this infrastructure is an EPD (Electro-Political
Device.)

The parameters that I used allow me to insert about one day of historical
data every 6-7 minutes which is very acceptable for the three years of data
that I am loading. I am loading in twelve parallel streams and I haven't
seen any significant degradation in the insertion rate.

Retrieval, even in the midst of this insertion process, is very quick.

I still have to figure out what to do about labels both for the data that
I've processed and new data going forward and I'm always open to
suggestions.

--Dave