Database design concerns

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sat Oct 27 11:01:29 EDT 2012

Hey Paul,
Glad to see that you're on my track with regard to how to do something completely different.

There are a lot of reasons to provide network situational awareness other than IDS, and
Argus is trying to provide a network activity awareness data model that can support a lot
of functions, performance analysis, operations management and security.

There are huge benefits taking this approach.  As network link speeds increase, the
network activity awareness processing has to scale, but the other functions, because
they are down stream, not integrated into the packet processing, don't have to scale to
the same degree.

OK, so with regard to finding things quickly, with a lot of pre-processing, you can get to
the answer of a query without having to process a lot of primitive data, each time.  Each
day table of unique IP addresses, in my situation, holds about 30K of entries, so to
discover if an IP address is actually in the data, isn't expensive at all.   That is 30K
unique IP addrs, against many GB of flow data per day.  For large enterprises, the
number of unique IP addresses is in the 400-600K addresses a day.

Because the IP address table has a lot of utility, its worth generating and maintaining
in real time, but also worth keeping around forever.

Interesting, the number of matrix entries isn't much different, as the interest in foreign
addresses isn't shared among a large number of local entities.  The matrix data, I've
found, runs around 1.25x the unique addresses.  But with NAT, its only 1x, as all the
foreign addresses are talking to only one IP address.

Carter