building argus-clients-3.0.7.1 on cygwin

Danielson, Graeme Graeme.Danielson at airnz.co.nz
Sat Oct 20 20:10:07 EDT 2012

hi all, I'm having problems building argus-clients-3.0.7.1 on cygwin.
I would normally use a linux or solaris but unfortunately I don't have one available at this site anymore.
I think I have managed to stumble past a couple of problems...

* 1. configure wasn't finding curses
I am passing "--includedir=/usr/include" but also need to specify CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/ncursesw"
I guess this is something to do with the cygwin environment in general?

* 2. make wasn't finding include/cygwin-include
for ./common/Makefile and ./clients/Makefile I changed
INCLS = -I. -I../include -I../common -I../../include/cygwin-include
INCLS = -I. -I../include -I../common -I../include/cygwin-include
Note that the ./examples/ra*/Makefile are OK as they are an extra level deep

But now I'm getting an error in make that's beyond my limited knowledge:
$ make
making in ./common
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/argus-clients-3.0.7.1/common'
gcc -O3 -I. -I../include -I../include/cygwin-include  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DARGUS_SYSLOG -c ./argus_main.c
rm -f ../lib/argus_parse.a; ar qc ../lib/argus_parse.a argus_main.o
ranlib ../lib/argus_parse.a
gcc -O3 -I. -I../include -I../include/cygwin-include  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DARGUS_SYSLOG -c ./argus_code.c
gcc -O3 -I. -I../include -I../include/cygwin-include  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DARGUS_SYSLOG -c ./argus_filter.c
./argus_filter.c: In function `argus_strerror':
./argus_filter.c:901: error: conflicting types for 'sys_errlist'
/usr/include/sys/errno.h:23: error: previous declaration of 'sys_errlist' was here
Makefile:73: recipe for target `argus_filter.o' failed
make[1]: *** [argus_filter.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/argus-clients-3.0.7.1/common'

I'm wondering if some of the assumptions in the hacks I've made are the cause? I would've thought that I wouldn't be the only one hitting these bumps on cygwin but I suppose it's probably not the platform of choice for many.
Thanks for any advice and assistance. Rgds, Graeme

-- Graeme Danielson tel:+64-21-611456 GMT+13
Good planets are hard to find - please think of the environment before you print this email.
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.