argus and Netflow

jdenton jdenton at itcglobal.com
Mon Nov 26 11:42:47 EST 2012

Hi Carter,

I agree, argus data beats flow data any time.
I usually use argus and ra and/or racluster to generate a Engineering
level report for major issues when it escalates to our level.
Basically we are trying to leverage existing reporting tools as a means
to use argus data.

For nominal usage and trending we use Plixer's Scrutinizer.
They have a decent GUI ( a couple snapshots below) that our operational
support uses.

Plixer does have a second tool that I am investigating that they claim
can export 'other' data.  Following up with their white paper
and a discussion with their sales engineer to see how it may fit with
argus data.

Here's a brief summary of the Scrutinizer screen shots below:
1.) Select a report that shows network traffic based on Network,
Protocol, IP host or IP Range.
   - From the graphic window I can highlight a section to zoom into the
traffic at that time period.
   - You can also select items in the table and run reports per item.
   - If I select the first line on the left ( Application ipsec-nat-t,
Destination 204.8.40.56)  I can generate a new report
   showing the 'Known ports" used for this instance.  The results are in
snapshot 2.

2.) From the 204.8.40.56 selection, I can see what ports are in use,
their pkt/s, percent and Kb/s.
   - You can drill down deeper by selecting a time period in the graph
or from an item in this table as well.

Regards,
Jon

1.)