Argus-info Digest, Vol 77, Issue 14

Scott A. McIntyre s.a.mcintyre at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:03:01 EST 2012

Hey Carter,

Carter Bullard wrote:
> Hey Jason,
> I'll tally you in the "don't want it, don't need it, don't know why
> anyone would use it"  category :o)

Since you're keeping rough track of the room temperature on this one,
here's where I find myself:

o I want my tools to give me raw data
o I'm (supposed to be) adding the Intelligence secret-sauce
o Software trying to be clever can backfire in unexpected ways

I know you do your level best to write good, clean code - but I'd rather
a tool such as Argus present the data as-is, and not attempt to
obfuscate unless I, as the human, ask for that option.

There are likely a number of people who are using Argus for some sort of
compliance/auditing/governance work, and "xxxxxxxx" may appear in places
it ought not, causing confusion.

Regardless of which way you go on this, it needs to be very clearly
pointed out. I'd go nuts if tcpdump tried to do this, for example.

Cheers,

Scott