obfuscation as default

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jan 18 19:51:17 EST 2012

OK, so taking Mark's suggestion, I added a configuration option to rarc
that describes the behavior, and gives a switch to conveniently turn it off.
We've now got manpage cover on the -x switch, and "ra -h" will print out
the -x option.

# When printing user data in Ascii, there are some protocols where
# argus may have captured plaintext passwords, such as telnet and
# pop email.  As a precaution, ra* programs will attempt to avoid
# printing plaintext passwords in the output.  When this option is
# enabled, plaintext after the string 'PASS ' will be over-written
# with 'x'.
#
# Commandline equivalent:  -x
#
#RA_OBFUSCATE_PASSWORDS=yes

So I'd like to leave the current default behavior, and use -x to turn it off.
Is this going to get closer to solving any issues?

Carter