Radium correlation - BPF not working

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 19:32:48 EDT 2011

On 21/06/2011 00:19, John Gerth wrote:
> On 6/20/2011 4:06 PM, Chris Wakelin wrote:
>>
>> One odd thing is that tcpdump doesn't work as expected either; on this machine a BPF filter matches nothing, whereas on similar machines I have cases
>> where it matches only one side of the traffic and others where it works as expected. I get the same ARGUS errors with two interfaces on one of the
>> machines where BPF is working though.
>>
>   BPF filtering whether tcpdump or argus will fail and match nothing if the mirror packets are
>   coming tagged with vlan headers.  The quick check is to prefix the failing filter, e.g.
>    tcpdump -i ....  vlan and ..

Ah! That makes sense. Certainly adding "vlan and" does make the BPF
filter work on both interfaces on the machine I said they didn't work on
before.

I'm a little suprised as I would have expected the ones from the core
switches to be tagged but not the ones from the border switches (the
ones where BPF was working have core switch feeds; this machine with two
interfaces has both a core switch and a border switch feed).

Time to talk to our Layer 2 guru :)

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094