Radium correlation - BPF not working

John Gerth gerth at graphics.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 20 19:19:23 EDT 2011

On 6/20/2011 4:06 PM, Chris Wakelin wrote:

> One odd thing is that tcpdump doesn't work as expected either; on this machine a BPF filter matches nothing, whereas on similar machines I have cases
> where it matches only one side of the traffic and others where it works as expected. I get the same ARGUS errors with two interfaces on one of the
> machines where BPF is working though.

 BPF filtering whether tcpdump or argus will fail and match nothing if the mirror packets are
 coming tagged with vlan headers.  The quick check is to prefix the failing filter, e.g.
  tcpdump -i ....  vlan and .....

--
John Gerth      gerth at graphics.stanford.edu  Gates 378   (650) 725-3273  fax 723-0033