200GB a day

Jonathan Tripathy jonnyt at abpni.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 11:57:05 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mike tancsa [mailto:mike at sentex.ca]
Sent: Wed 03/08/2011 16:52
To: Jonathan Tripathy
Cc: argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: [ARGUS] 200GB a day

On 8/3/2011 10:46 AM, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Do you think argus is able to handle a setup using standard hardware
> which pushes 200GB a day? I intend to run argus on the actual servers,
> and have a dedicated server for reading the stream and writing it out to
> a database. No switch port mirroring involved.

Hi,
	The wonderful thing about "standards"  is that there are so many to
choose from :)  For what its worth, we monitor about 45GB of argus data
a day from a number of argus and cisco netflow sensors. Total bandwidth
is probably averaging around 200Mb/s. I store them on a FreeBSD 8.x box,
with 8G of RAM on an E4700 CPU, and an 11TB ZFS filesystem (The radium
process takes about 8% CPU.  Traffic into the box is about 6Mb/s.  I
store them just in argus files.

	---Mike

And roughly speaking, how much hard disk space does Argus use per GB of data transfered? (I know that it will be different depending on the type of communication, but I'm just looking for real life figures)

Also, I'm a but confused about your numbers. If you are averaging 200Mb/s, wouldn't that mean that you are transfering 109GB per day? But maybe you have lots of quiet time?

Thanks :)