200GB a day

mike tancsa mike at sentex.ca
Wed Aug 3 11:52:51 EDT 2011

On 8/3/2011 10:46 AM, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Do you think argus is able to handle a setup using standard hardware
> which pushes 200GB a day? I intend to run argus on the actual servers,
> and have a dedicated server for reading the stream and writing it out to
> a database. No switch port mirroring involved.

Hi,
	The wonderful thing about "standards"  is that there are so many to
choose from :)  For what its worth, we monitor about 45GB of argus data
a day from a number of argus and cisco netflow sensors. Total bandwidth
is probably averaging around 200Mb/s. I store them on a FreeBSD 8.x box,
with 8G of RAM on an E4700 CPU, and an 11TB ZFS filesystem (The radium
process takes about 8% CPU.  Traffic into the box is about 6Mb/s.  I
store them just in argus files.

	---Mike