Radium and output files

Mike Iglesias iglesias at uci.edu
Tue Apr 12 17:37:14 EDT 2011

On 04/12/2011 02:07 PM, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Well that is interesting.  I can't see how we could write to two file descriptors
> for the same file entry, so this is a head scratcher.  I've tested this on several
> architectures today, and can't get it to do anything extra ordinary, so must be
> a good bug.  You aren't using the 'e' option by any chance, to write exception
> records (records that failed the filter) into a separate file?

Nope.  I started radium like this:  radium -C 9996 -w argus.out

> I would suggest a few things.  One is to "mv" the argus.out file, and not delete it.
> To see if that creates 3 files open by this radium, or if this closes all the other files.
> The other would be to attach to the running radium, with gdb, and break in
> ArgusOutputProcess to see what it thinks is in the output->ArgusOutputList.

I mv'd the argus.out file, and it closed it and opened a new one.  The deleted
file from early this morning is still open and being written to.

I think I figured out what I had done wrong - the radium.conf file had this in it:

RADIUM_OUTPUT_FILE=/log/argus/argus.out

and I had "-w argus.out" on the command line, so it had the argus.out file
open twice.  I've restarted radium without the -w option, so it has the output
file open once now.  mv'ing the argus.out file now works properly.

Sorry about that...

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Office of Information Technology       FAX:         949-824-2270