Dr. Hank Dardy

Carter Bullard carter at QOSIENT.COM
Tue Mar 23 12:02:08 EDT 2010

Gentle people,
I'm very sad to announce that Dr. Hank Dardy passed away earlier this month.

Hank was Chief Scientist for Computational Sciences at the U.S. Naval Research
Laboratory.  A brilliant scientist/engineer, Hank's contributions to computing and
communications were HUGE, pivotal.   I called him Dr. HD (high definition) because
of the massive amount of work he did to champion HDTV in the US DoD, NASA and
commercial broadcasting.  Without Hank, you and I wouldn't be enjoying the
SuperBowl or March Madness on big wide screen HDTV's, at least not this decade.

Hank was involved in the original Arpanet, directed a DoD supercomputing facility, and
established one of the first national high speed networking testbeds.   In that role, Hank
supported research projects that eventually produced some of the big stories in computer
networking.   He was in the background in the revolution in routers, switches and optical
networking, and his efforts touched almost everyone in the industry.

Hank and I met at one of the early Internet Society meetings, but we didn't start working
together until the early beginnings of ATM networking.    For the last 3 years or so,  I've
had the rare privilege to work directly with Hank, thinking of ways to help things go
much much faster.

Hank was one of those people that made life very special.  I will really miss Hank.