Concurrent transactions - ragraph question

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jun 17 14:37:06 EDT 2010

Hey Rafael,
It does look, from the code, that it is trans/sec.  We have explicit
code for controlling that, and it looks like "Trans" doesn't correct for
the the GAUGE/AVERAGE artifacts rrd and rrd_graph generates.

If you make this change to ragraph():

thoth:~ carter$ diff `which ragraph` /tmp/ragraph
1093c1093
<          /Trans/    and do {$power[$x] = 1.0 ; };
---
>          /Trans/    and do {$power[$x] = $STEP ; };

It will graph the actual 'trans' value in each time bin.

Carter

On Jun 17, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Rafael Barbosa wrote:

> I have being discussing the results with some colleagues here. Probably the result I am having is flows/sec, and not the total number of flows in the period. I believe the program counts the number of active flows in the interval (in my case 5min) and calculating "flows/sec".
>
> I will run with the debug option to see if I can confirm this (or not)...
>
> Thanks for the timely reply.
>
> Rafael
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM, <carter at qosient.com> wrote:
> Hey Rafael,
> That maybe an artifact of rrd and rrd_graph.
> You can run ragraph with --debug and it will show you all the numbers get into the rrd.
>
> The particular command you are using is the simple example and the least efficient. Try "-m srcid" and the numbers may get around the rrd issues, and the debug output should help you see what is gong on.

> From: Rafael Barbosa <rrbarbosa at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:58:47 +0200
> To: <argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
> Subject: [ARGUS] Concurrent transactions - ragraph question
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have been testing some of the argus examples present in the wiki, and one of the outputs called my attention. After analyzing the output of:
>
>  ragraph trans -M 10s -r $file - title 'Concurrent Transactions' -w transac.png2
>
> for a file I have, I get a graph with the number of concurrent transactions, but for my surprise I don't get an integer number of transactions. How is it possible to have around 13.2 concurrent transactions? How does argus calculate this value?
> By the way, there is a small typo in the the wiki for this command. There is a space in "- title".
>
> Best regards,
> Rafael Barbosa

Carter Bullard
CEO/President