ArgusEstablishListen: bind() error

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.ca
Mon Apr 26 14:05:29 EDT 2010

Hi,
         I am new to Argus and am looking to setup a series of argus
collectors and then a central host to receive netflow as well as
Argus data where possible.  On the central server I was going to use radium.

I am just starting to test on one client and ran into a problem. The
client machine has 6 interfaces I wish to monitor.  When I try and
start up multiple copies of argus, I run into the error

ArgusEstablishListen: bind() error

even though I am trying to bind it to a different IP and different interface

Looking at what the initial program binds to, I see the following
open (this is FreeBSD BTW)

# sockstat | grep arg
root     argus      60912 5  tcp4   205.xxx.yyy.zzz:561    *:*
root     argus      60912 6  dgram  -> /var/run/logpriv
root     argus      60912 7  udp4   *:*                   *:*

I am guessing the listening on the UDP port is preventing the second
copy from starting up ? How do I prevent that ?

Argus Version 3.0.2
         ---Mike