Proto Filter for PPPoE

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Sep 14 09:54:14 EDT 2009

Hey Barry,
Going from monitoring wireless to PPPoE doesn't require that you
change anything
with argus() or ra().  argus() parses through all the packet headers
that it understands
and forms the same types of flows, regardless  of the type of network
it is monitoring.
So you shouldn't have to make any changes when you use argus() to
monitor a
PPPoE network.

argus() performs RTP discovery automatically, as it does with several
protocols, such as
IPv4 or IPv6 over MPLS.  If argus()  thinks the flow contains RTP
headers, it will report it.
So you don't have to do anything to track RTP flows, its done in the
argus() sensor.

For argus() and the ra* programs, PPPoE is an encapsulation,  not a
protocol.  So if  you
want  to look at all the flows that were contained in PPPoE tunnels,
you use the
'encaps' filter keyword with 'pppoe' as the parameter:

    ra -r argus.file - encaps pppoe

If you're interested in seeing the RTP status flow records, you would
try this:

    ra -r argus.file - rtp

If you still have questions, please send mail to the list.  No
problem!!!

Always grab the latest and greatest software, just in case:
    argus-3.0.2 and argus-clients-3.0.2.beta.12

http://qosient.com/argus

Carter