Proto Filter for PPPoE

Barry Kolts bhkolts at gotrain.org
Sun Sep 13 18:29:03 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I need a little help understanding the proto filter in ra(). What I want to
do is see what is encapsulated in PPPoE. We have been using Argus to monitor
our wireless network, but now are going to use PPPoE. If I understand the
ra() man page the proto filter will attempt to discover the Realtime
Transport Protocol. So I think I want something like
ra -r argus.data -s stime saddr daddr proto sbytes dbytes - proto p ?
I think from the man page I use 'p' to filter PPPoE but I don't know what
the second field should be.
ra() says the 'p' is illegal and the syntax is wrong. It is obvious I am not
understanding how to use this filter. Can anyone set me straight.
I am using Argus 3.0.1.beta.3 and Argus-clients 3.0.2.beta.7

Thanks in advance,
Barry