ra: window difference ?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Nov 27 10:41:29 EST 2009

Hey  Julien,
Argus will report the last window advertisement seen for the src and dst direction
in each status report interval and it will also indicate if the window went to zero
during that time.   This zero state is the TCP flow control indicator, and you will
see a "S", "D" or "@" indicator in column 5 of the flags field.

With larger status reporting intervals, you will have records that account
for more than one packet in a particular direction, and so you will lose some
window information.  To see all the values, you can reduce the status reporting
interval in argus-3.0 all the way down to 1 uSec if that is useful ("-S 0.000001"),
We use this in some of the very very high speed work we do.  For link speeds
10Gbps and lower, this will basically report on each packet, so maybe "-S 1" or
"-S 0.1" would be good for your analysis.

If you are generating 5 second status records and your records have
more than 1 packet in each direction, the window advertisement in the record
will be the value in the last packet.  When you filter, you'll only be able to match
on that last window advertisement that is in the record, so you will get different results
from argus data than from looking at each packet.

So, what are you most interested in in this packet trace?  Is there a need to capture
more in the TCP windows metric?

Carter