ra: window difference ?

julien julien.t43 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 15:35:27 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

does someone know the difference between Wireshark "Window Space"
(tcp.window_space) and Argus "Window Advertisement" (swin/dwin) ?

I'm currently investigating a pcap representing a kind of DoS Synflood
attack. The former returns about 25k packets with size 0 a
nd 230k with size <n>, the latter returns 130k & 25k (swin only) ???

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html speaks only about "Window".

I suppose it's probably linked with a difference of treatment as packet
or flow but not really sure.
(tcpdump has about 300k lines and ra returns 250k)

If someone has an explanation, I would be very happy to get it.

Thanks.
Best regards

	Julien