argus threaded

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri May 1 22:52:34 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 03:36:54PM -0400, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As a was building the latest version of argus I noticed that there is
> the option to run argus as a threaded process.
>
> Currently we run 4 seperate version of argus with different bpf filters
> (we have 4 cpus in our argus box).
>
> Wondering if anyone is running argus with threads under linux and what
> your experience/thoughts are with this type of setup.
>
> Cheers,
> Harry

	Unless you are (as I often do) removing .thread in the top level of
the clients directory, you are running threads by default if your machine
supports it. It is still disabled by default (no .thread) in the argus
distribution, I had a variety of problems with hangs early in 3.0 and I think
we eventually decided it was problematic and disabled it (again, I was in any
case :-)) but Carter will have the best opinion on how stable it may be if
enabled.

Peter Van Epp