ra 3.0.0 client vs 2.0.6 Argus data - Bug?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jan 30 09:48:39 EST 2009

Hey Jesper,
I suspect that you're ra() is exiting correctly somewhere early in the
data file.

If you don't mind doing some debugging, if you configure and compile
your clients with the tag files ".debug" and  ".devel" in the root
directory,
and then running ra() with some debug turned on, that should tell us
if something is up, and then use gdb to see the actual error.

    % cd /path/to/argus/clients/directory
    % touch .devel .debug
    % make clobber
    % ./configure;make

    % bin/ra -D3 -r /path/to/argus_2.0.6_new

The last debug strings should reveal if there is a real reason to exit.
If there is nothing telling, increasing the "-D num" number will tell
us more.

ra* clients can exit if they receive specific management records, such
as
those that indicate the stream has errors, or has closed.  I suspect
that
a 2.0.6 MAR record is telling the 3.0.0 ra() to close, but it doesn't
have
to.

Carter

On Jan 30, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Jesper Skou Jensen wrote:

> Yes, on two different Argus boxes. 2.0.6 on the old box and 3.0.0 on
> the new.
>
> The ra mentioned below is the the 3.0.0 version and it's reading the
> 2.0.6 logs.
>

> --
>
>  Jesper S. Jensen
> UNI-C - Århus, Danmark
>

> Dave Edelman wrote:
>> Do you have a mix of 2.0 and 3.0 clients?
>> Dave Edelman
>> +1 917 331-0112 cell
>> On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:12, Jesper Skou Jensen <jesper.skou.jensen at uni-c.dk
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Carter,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the quick answer.

>>> Ok, thanks for the info.

>>> Yea, that's quite a big problem imo, and yea there is missing
>>> quite a lot of data.

>>> Do you mean if it's crashing or writing any garbage or something
>>> like that? No. Not that I know of. The output I posted was/is all
>>> it gives.
>>>
>>> racount confirms what wc did, the _new logfile only contains a
>>> fraction of the original log.
>>>
>>> If I do eg:
>>> ra -r argus_2.0.6.argus |tail
>>>
>>> I do get the last entries in the log, so the read part appears to
>>> be running ok. It must be the write that that goes wrong somehow?
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Jesper S. Jensen
>>> UNI-C - Århus, Danmark

Carter Bullard