ArgusGenerateRecord: packet size type not defined

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Mon Feb 2 23:51:05 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 01:39:44PM -0500, Michael Grinnell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Periodically Argus dies on my test system with the error
> "ArgusGenerateRecord: packet size type not defined."  The time between
> these errors varies, sometimes it's only a minute or two after argus
> starts, other times it can be > 15 minutes.  I've tried running a
> simultaneous tcpdump, then running the resulting capture file through
> argus, but I can't replicate the error.  I also don't see any glaring
> errors in the capture file around the time it dies.  This happens with
> argus 3.0.0 and with argus 3.0.1 beta2.  The system is running CentOS
> 5.2 and is listening on a dedicated interface (NC7782, bnx2 driver) to a
> span port off of a Cisco switch.  I have also updated to the newest bnx2
> drivers, but it still recurs.  I'm trying to scare up another NIC to try
> as well.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Michael Grinnell
> Information Security Engineer
> The American University

	Setting

ARGUS_PACKET_CAPTURE_FILE="/var/log/argus/packet.out"

in an argus.rc file will capture the input packets from pcap in to the
specified file. If you can get lucky and get a failure before you run out of
disk space one of the last packets in the file should tell us what argus isn't
liking.  On a busy link this file will get large fast but if it sometimes
fails quickly you may be lucky (you are also likely to see packet loss due to
the disk I/O on the sensor but hopefully the fault will still occur).
	It looks like the argus record is malformed (it is complaining that it
doesn't recognize the type in argus/ArgusModeler.c at line 2904 in the
argus-3.0.1.beta.2 code). A dump of the offending packet should tell Carter
why (or if the incoming packet is corrupted which is also possible).

Peter Van Epp