-t Option in Racluster

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Jun 30 10:17:47 EDT 2008

Hey Barry,
The way that I do this is to use rasplit() to put data as it comes in,
into a data
archive that is based on year/month/day, and then use cron to fire up
a report
generator on the first day of the month.

    rasplit -S argusSource -M time 5m -w /archivePath/%Y/%m/%d/argus.
%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S

The data from my argus source would be written into this file, right
now,
as /path/2008/06/30/argus.2008.06.30.09.55.00 and starting at 10am it
would start
writing data into /path/200806/30argus.2008.06.30.10.00.00.

When its time to generate a report, you can just run a program like
ra() to feed data
into your report generator (assuming it likes ascii input):

    ra -R /path/2008/06 | reportScript

This is not the most efficient way, but it highlights how you can
build a repository that
fits your reporting strategy and how ra* programs can work off of
whole repositories
at a time.

Racluster will have some problems processing a whole months worth of
data at a time
if you are a university, but for a small workgroup, a month is usually
no problem.
However, you can usually generate daily intermediate reports, and if
you do it right,
racluster only needs to process the daily intermediates to generate
weekly and monthly
report data.

But to get to your specific question,  the time filter can be
specific, wildcarded etc..... in
a lot of ways.

If you want to go back to the beginning of the previous month (because
-1M goes to the
beginning of the current month):
    racluster -t -2M+1M

Its the same algorithm as
    racluster -t -2d+1d

Wildcards like this maybe more useful:
    racluster -t 2008/06

which should match any records that fall into June, of 2008.

I didn't put in 'w'eeks, as that seems confusing for some people
(which week?),
but filters like "-21w+10s" are useful in that they give you the first
10 seconds
of some week, (hard to know which one).  But its easy to put it in.

Carter