config bug

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Jul 16 11:57:04 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:28:57AM -0400, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Hey Peter,
> Sorry for the delayed response.
>
> So, we get the FILE_OFFSET_BITS from autoconf.1 m4 macros,
> and they are suppose to provide the results of default compiler
> runs, so you can determine what additional flags are needed for
> the installed compiler.  So, I'm wondering if your 'gcc' isn't properly
> installed?
>
> Carter

	Its not so much its misinstalled as the discovery that we want to
compile 64 bit is apparantly discovered later after the offset flag has been
set. You have to specifically request 64 bit, by default it compiles everything
32. We need to do the equivelent of this:

powerpc64-*-linux-gnu)
   V_CCOPT="$V_CCOPT -m64 -fPIC"
   ;;

either higher in the file or in to an additional flag so that at least the
-m64 and perhaps both are set when it looks for the offset bit (or of course
just remember to preset them before running configure which also works :-)).
I believe its just an efficiency issue, it is doing unnecessary work to get
a 64 bit offset that it already has native (although it may not know that
yet).