argus crash problem

Lei Wei lwei at cs.unc.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:11:33 EST 2008

Thanks a lot Peter!
I ran the ra again and splitted the source and dest. I can see that
there are packets in both directions in one record entry. For the many
connections with unknown directions, I have a question about how argus
works. Does argus record a connection and count the number of packets
in it within a small time period? For example, maybe in 1ms, it records
all the seen connections? If so, it sort of makes sense that the
already established connections have unknown directions because if
argus can see packets from both directions within this 1ms, there's no
single direction in this connection at this point. But for syn and fin
it definitely have single direction. Before I took a closer look at the
flow data, I thought argus would record by a transaction basis, i.e.
one full tcp transaction per entry. But since it is not the case, I
wonder if it works as I'm thinking now.

Thanks.
Lei