argus crash problem

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 31 11:47:35 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:30:23PM -0500, Lei Wei wrote:
> Hi Carter,
>
> I'll do what you suggested. But I don't quite understand "You should
> print both spkts and dpkts". what does "spkts" mean and How do I do
> that?  And by the way, is it normal that I got so many connections with
> unknown directions?
>
> Thanks.
> Lei

	By default (a change from the previous norm) ra is printing the
sum of both packets and bytes. To split them out use either the -s command
on the command line (as in):

ra -r file -s stime flgs proto saddr sport dir daddr dport spkts dpkts sbytes dbytes state

	or put an equivalant line in your .rarc file. This prints source and
dest packets and bytes as separate counts.
	Given the speed of your link I expect the best thing you can do (if
you haven't already) is run argus and archiving on separate boxes. On the
box with the dag:

argus -d -P 560 -i eth0 -i eth1 -F /scratch/argus.conf

(where argus.conf =

ARGUS_COLLECTOR=no

	This writes the argus records to a socket and does no disk I/O on the
capture host which minimizes bus contention (and you sound like you need all
you've got for network traffic :-)). The data collection occurs on another
machine that shares a network with the collector via:

ra -S collector_ip:560 -n -w /var/log/argus/com_argus

this instance reads the argus data from the network connection to the sensor
and writes it to disk on the local machine (so the disk I/O isn't interfering
with data collection). You probably also want to run argusarchive from cron
every 10 minutes (or perhaps even less) to archive the data files so they don't
become so large. There are better ways to structure the ra capture (if you
look back in the list archive you will find Carter's suggested setup for
reliable data collection, I just haven't gotten as far as implementing it yet).
	That may reduce the load on your collector box enough to make it work
better.