racluster for connections initiated by host X

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Aug 15 13:13:54 EDT 2008

Hey David,
The best way to approach a filter that doesn't seem to work is to use
ra()
to see what the nature of the 'primitive' data is.  Are there any
records
where the "host X and port 80" is true?  From the output of that
filter, are there any records where X is the "src host"?  Piping the
output,
or using temp files, is a good strategy to building a working filter,

The 'src' and 'dst' semantics for TCP are kinda complicated.  Argus
assigns 'src' to the IP address that initiates the TCP connection, so if
your host "X" is a web client, the best filter for you is "src host X
and
dst port 80".  Web services are a strict client initiated service, so
the
servers will be the "dst".

The dst port is reliable if argus() see's the connection establishment
phase of the TCP, so the better filter is:
    "dst port 80 and \(syn or synack\)"

I would test this filter as a likely candidate:
    "host X and \( dst port 80 and \(syn or synack\)\)"

That way you will see the flows where X is either the client or
the web server.  If X is the client, X will be the 'src', if X is the
sever,
it will be the 'dst'.

When you do this, and then you want to aggregate the data using
racluster(), be sure and leave the 'proto' and the 'dport' as a part of
the clustering key:
   -m saddr daddr proto dport

That way if you want to further process the data, you don't lose some
of the key service/direction information.

Carter