PF ring support in argus

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Oct 12 15:28:27 EDT 2007

Carter Bullard wrote:
> Gentle people,
> So, we don't really need to do anything in argus, as it seems
> to be driven by environment variables (assuming your using
> the shared library strategy).  But that doesn't sound very
> elegant.
>
> So I can add to argus.conf:
>
>    ARGUS_ENV="name=value"
>
> And we can allow for any environment variable to be set?
> Is this dangerous?  I'm thinking that its pretty benign, as long
> as we're careful on buffer overflow etc...., but it also would be
> trivial to allow only specific environment variables?  I'm sure
> that someone will think that its dangerous, but in the
> Bell-Lapadula scheme of things, it probably is not a real issue.
Seems pretty benign to me (assuming sensible programming practice are
followed and we all trust Carter in that department ;).

Having everything in the config file is certainly much tidier.   I have
had occasions where I have installed the modified pcap and bungled
setting the environment variable and discovered it months later.
Mind you if I ever get bcfg2 properly set up to manage my sensors all
the things like /etc/bashrc will be centrally managed too.   For those
who have not come across it bcfg2 is a rather nice configuration
management tool from ANL: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2

BTW the reason I have gone with this method and not the kernel mods like
Peter is that I don't have anyone to build custom kernels for me and I
don't have time to do it myself.

And, lastly, thanks to Jason for pointing out the README.ring file in
the distro.  I had missed that.  sigh...

Russell